Motor Vehicle Registrations and Transfers

  • All transactions require some type of identification to process.
  • Due to Minnesota privacy laws we can only disclose account information to the record owner.
  • Proof of current insurance is required when applying for motor vehicle registration or transfer of ownership.
  • When transferring a motorcycle the engine number is required!


Buying or Selling a Motor Vehicle-Just the Facts 

View helpful details about Vehicle title transfers.


Transfer Vehicle Ownership

  • Most recent title from state of last license is used to transfer a Motor vehicle or trailer. If the title cannot be located, the seller must apply for a duplicate.
  • The mileage as it appears on the odometer must be written on the title.
  • Title will show all current owners names. All those whose names appears as owners must sign as sellers.
  • If a lien holder is listed, the lien holder must sign lien release and provide to the owner. (All lien release documentation must be notarized and must be originals-copies are not acceptable.)
  • Transfer of ownership from the seller to the buyer is NOT finished until the completed title is turned in and fees are paid.
  • For unique situations or questions on vehicle transfers, please visit or contact us at (507) 295-5264.
  • Click here for more information.


Motor Vehicle Registration from Out-of-State

  • When someone moves to Minnesota, they must submit foreign state title or current registration if the title is being held by lien holder.
  • Applicants must provide current odometer reading and driver's license or state-issued identification card.
  • If there is a lien against the vehicle, the owner must provide the name and complete address of the lender, as well as the date of the loan.
  • Owner's signature is required on the Minnesota title application.
  • Click here for more information.


Other Information