Grievances or Violations of Victim’s Rights

Grievances or Violations of Victim’s Rights

Federal laws prohibit crime victims be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, age or disability.

If you believe you have been discriminated against, and wish to file a complaint, below is a direct link to the Office of Civil Rights (OCR) website that provides you with the Formal Complaint Form and Identity Release Form and where to submit them. Also accessible are filing tips.

Have your rights been violated?

Victims in Minnesota have statutory rights regarding notification, participation, compensation, and protection.

Victims who feel their crime victim rights have been violated or they have been mistreated by a member or entity of the criminal justice system can contact the Crime Victim Justice Unit. This link provides you with a fillable complaint form, as well as information on where to submit it.

Crime Victim Justice Unit (CVJU)

The CVJU investigates complaints from victims about statutory rights violations and victim mistreatment. Their goal is to promote the highest attainable standards of competence, efficiency, and justice for crime victims. The CVJU is not a victim advocate, but an advocate for the fair and equitable treatment of crime victims and adherence to crime victim rights.

Crime Victim Justice Unit
45 Minnesota St. Suite 2300
St. Paul, MN 55101